Monday, August 11, 2008

Akihabara





One day last week, our multihead DVD that Paddy purchased just before we arrive started to act up.  It would only open and close no matter what you pressed. This was quite distressing because not only does Conor's mealtimes revolve around Shrek and Little Einsteins, this would mean I would have to venture to Akihabara to exchange/return it (with no receipt and no Japanese). Akihabara is like Times Square of Electronics. Bright flashing lights with shouts welcoming you into the stores.  I almost opted out for just buying another DVD down the street.  But, today, armed with a sense of adventure and Conor as my bargaining power, we got into the subway to venture the 13 stops from Hiroo to Akihabara (one line, thankfully). The subway system here is worthy of it's own entry as it is soooo clean and efficient and the best I have ever seen. But I digress...it took 18 minutes and Conor clung to me the whole ride. We exited at gate 5 as instructed by Paddy, and took a random left as I felt that was where the action was...and after wandering a bit, we found the store Laox.  We got on the escalator, and found that each floor had a different toy theme- Playstations, electric cars and trains, etc. We must be at the wrong place but made a pit stop on floor 4 because it was an electric miniature train wonderland that fascinated Conor (and many other older teenagers and men).  They had replicas of all the different trains with some vintage ones, even I was fascinated.  I finally called Paddy and discovered that there were three Laox stores in the area! I managed to get out of there without having to buy anything by bargaining with Conor that he could press the elevator button.

So off we went to find the other Laox, with TVs and DVDs and about any other item that has a plug. I went to the counter and pulled out my lame DVD and tried to explain what was wrong, showing Paddy's Laox membership card. They plugged it into their TV, switched the "zone" and voila, it was working. Hurray! Not so hard..worth the trip. I decided we should celebrate by visiting yet another toy floor at this Laox, and Conor immediately found himself a Shinkansen (Bullet Train) set and wouldn't leave until I actually bought the set (which I was going to do anyway) and unwrapped one the trains while dangling it by an open elevator. He was one happy little boy with his Shinkansen and I was one happy mommy as we sat at the sushi bar and later rode the subway back...

Until I got home and plugged the DVD in and still saw a black screen...ARRRGHHH.  Bang head on wall moment. I eventually called them (twice) and had them guide me through various buttons to press (not intuitive). The first time I got picture and was so happy I hung up prematurely and realized I had no sound. On the second phone call, I was informed I had to go to Audio menu, under Dolby Sound and change from Bitstream to PCM....ooh, is that all? 
Anyway, all is well..and the boys were dancing to their Baby Noah and I realized that you can actually get things done here even with the language barrier.  It is frustrating, but it teaches one patience.

No comments: