Friday, September 12, 2008

Tennis anyone?

Let's set the stage for this particular entry by recalling a sunny afternoon in East Hampton, Memorial Day weekend when Paddy had flown home for Conor's birthday. He had informed me that we were going to join the Tokyo Lawn and Tennis Club next to our new house and so he needed some gear.  So, in true Paddy style, he returned from Main Street with a new Prince bag and TWO rackets, and a few new outfits. The two rackets I thought meant one for me and one for him, but, no, for Paddy "Federer" Hogan, he needed two rackets just in case he broke a string on one of his serves. Feeling sheepish, he did go buy one for me and thus we were all set to strut our stuff on the courts. This is coming from two people who have played 5 times in the last ten years. So we are REALLY good.

So with that confidence, I had joined a ladies group that played Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings. I know what you are thinking...Lien, your life is like those housewives from OC. Hmm..maybe. One opponent in particular that I thought I would go easy on was a 60ish yo old Japanese woman who might actually be 80yo with lip implants, a bad facelift and kyphosis. My bad, I shouldn't age discriminate because this chic just kept returning everything you hit her until you make an unforced error.  I played her twice, again this week, she beat me.  I surrender.  Maybe she takes steroids.

Our most "humiliating" (direct quote from Paddy) moment came this week when we played our first round mixed doubles match in the club tournament.  I was actually feeling queasy from nerves prior to the match. We were playing a Japanese couple we never met before on Court 1. On first appearances, he was 65 and slightly chubby. She was small and skinny and in her 30s. And odd pair. Within a few minutes of warming up, I suspected we were toast, but Paddy is extremely competitive and in his mind, imagined we were playing in the US Open. Anyway, 40 minutes later, after a can of fresh WHOOP ASS had been open on us, we politely shook hands at 6-0, 6-0. We then had to have a drink with them in the club where Paddy sulked the whole time, still in a bit of shock that we had been demolished so fast. Ok, so I will take 70% of the blame for losing because of my unforced errors but "Federer" wasn't doing so hot either. They say it's not good to be doubles partner with your spouse, hmm...there is some logic behind that.
Paddy and I are looking for a few opponents with either one leg or in wheelchairs to play against to boost our confidence.

3 comments:

anna said...

I enjoyed this one, Lien..very funny! Good luck finding your "match"!!

Irina said...

Just looked back on your blog: I really enjoy it. Note to self: put into favorites. It just got chilly in NY. Hope it comes your way.

Lien said...

I now have a recurrent ganglion cyst on my right wrist which has been causing some pain, so that explains why i have been playing so badly ;-)